Domestic helpers can be either hired through an agency or hired directly by you. When hiring a domestic helper you must meet the following requirements:
- Contracts can only be for a maximum period of two years.
- Employee's minimum wage is HK$4,010 set by the Hong Kong Government.
- Employer is responsible to pay the Employees Retraining Levy to the HK Government.
- Employer is responsible for the Employees' medical expenses & for paying for the return of the Employees' body in case of death. It is mandatory to purchase a medical insurance policy to cover these potential costs.
- Employer must provide living accommodation.
- Employer must arrange a return air ticket and provide travelling allowance for employee to return home.
- Employee has the right to have all labour holidays and the freedom to follow any religion.
- Employee's work duties are restricted to the employee's home only.
Please Note: This information may change from time to time. Viewers should check directly with the HK Labour Dept for up to date information.